Friday, February 24, 2012

What have I been doing (cooking edition)...2/24/12...

Sorry I've been gone so long... in the middle of a bunch of fun projects, so I plan to be posting quite a bit in the next couple days...

I did try a new recipe last night (although I didn't get any pictures so you will have to just imagine it)...  The recipe is Pork Chops Marsala, and I found it right here on Cooking Light.com (it is one of the many recipes I pinned on Pinterest).

Those that know me really well, know that I don't eat red meat, and contrary to what commercials would have you believe pork is really not the other white meat, but I figured that all mixed in with the marsala sauce I could just pretend that it was chicken... it sorta worked!!

We found this recipe as written, kind of -meh-.  After I type the recipe, I will add some things that I will change if I ever make it again, so you might want to read those too!!

Pork Chop Marsala
Yields: 4 servings (serving size 1 pork chop and 1/2 cup sauce)

Ingredients:
6 tbsp all-purpose flour, divided
4 (4 oz) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick)
Cooking spray
1/3 cup minced shallots (about 2)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (8 ounce) package presliced mushrooms
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup Marsala wine or dry sherry
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Preparation:
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish.  Dredge pork in flour. Coat pan with cooking spray.  Add pork to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until browned.  Remove pork from pan.

Add shallots, garlic, and mushrooms to pan; saute 3 minutes or until moisture evaporates.  Add remaining 2 tbsp flour and thyme to pan, and cook for 1 minute stirring well.  Combine chicken broth and marsala, stirring until smooth.  Gradually add broth mixture to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes or until sauce thickens.

Return pork to pan; cook 2 minutes or until desired degree of doneness, turning to coat.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

* This is a really easy dish to make, so I was disappointed that there wasn't much taste at all!!  If I were to try this again, this is what I would change...

-double the amount of shallots to 2/3 cup
-double the amount of garlic to 4 tsp
- half the amount of thyme to 1 tsp
- double the amount of marsala wine to 1/2 cup (you will need to increase the cooking time if you increase the liquid amount in order to burn off the alcohol).

I think by doing all these things, the flavor would be increased and it would be a fabulous recipe!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...