Monday, January 30, 2012

A Quick Decorating Project...

I realized that I have never blogged about re-painting the main floor 1/2 bath.  About ummmm... 8 years ago I think, I found the directions for this beautiful faux finish.  I used a dark green, a light green, a white and a metallic copper paint sponged on the entire wall.  It sounds weird and this picture does not do it
 justice, but it was really pretty.  The room is pretty small with no windows, so very dark (that's why the picture is so bad).  Because the room is so dark and the overall tone of the paint was so dark, the room seemed TINY!!!

So I decided to paint it a soft grey color, and it turned out so pretty!!!  And the room looks HUGE now!!  Here is a picture of the wall color.  The shelves there are a CD stand that I bought 8 years ago at Pier 1.  It used to be silver, but I spray painted it oil rubbed bronze so it would pop a bit against the grey color.  The silver just blended in.  I got this idea to use the CD stand for shelves from a friend and neighbor!  The shelves are the perfect size for toilet paper rolls and rolled towels and a vase on top!!

Ok, so now to the art project.  When cleaning out my cabinets for the cabinet refinishing project, I found this little basket thingy.  I think it was a wedding gift that came with a casserole dish.  I found it in the cabinet above the fridge, I don't think I have EVER used it for anything before so I decided it would work perfectly as a little decorative "tray" to sit on the back of the toilet in the 1/2 bathroom.
So, I spray painted it with the same oil rubbed bronze spray paint that I painted the CD shelves.  I did 2 coats of the bronze and then a coat of a clear matte finish layer, and here's what we ended up with...
I love the way it turned out.  I haven't quite decided what to fill it with, but right now it has 2 rolled towels that I had previously.  I haven't quite decided what color scheme I'm going to go with...
Although I did find this color scheme on Pinterest, and I love it so I think I'm going to use this for the 1/2 bath, but you know it's always up for discussion.
Source: http://design-seeds.com/index.php/home/entry/feathered-brights2

I figure the walls are the top color and the oil rubbed bronze is pretty close to the bottom color and the old towels I have are pretty close to the 2nd color, so we are already over halfway there!!!

I'd love to hear what you think about this color combination...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...