Thursday, December 1, 2011

What have I been doing... (Reading edition)...

I did something today that I so very rarely do that I feel it necessary to mention... I returned a book to the library before I had finished reading it.  I honestly can't remember the last time I did that.  The title of this book is Learning to Die in Miami: Confessions of a Refugee Boy by Carlos Eire.  It's not that the book wasn't good or anything, I just couldn't seem to get into it.  I am going to put it back on my list to check out again later and finish it.  I did read over half of it.  I'm not sure why I wasn't feeling this book because it is very well written and something I had never read before and very interesting... I just couldn't get into it!

I don't know about you, but alway in elementary, middle and high school when we had social studies/history, we always started with Indians/Explorers but never made it past WWII by the end of the year.  I hate to admit that I really know very little about the Cuban Missile Crisis, the Cold War, Watergate, etc.  I had no idea that in the early 60's over 10,000 children were sent from Cuba to live with "foster parents" in the United States with no hopes of ever seeing their parents again.  This book is the true story of one of these Refugee boys.  Even in the half I read, I learned a lot!  And I do recommend this book and I do plan on finishing it at some point in the future!!

1 comment:

  1. You know more than you think... Just go back and play Baby Boomers Trivial Pursuit, and I am sure you will surprise yourself :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think...