Sunday, March 18, 2012

What have I been doing (recipe edition)... Mall pretzels!!!

So, if you are one of my facebook friends the you might have read my status on Monday where I was so excited that my husband suggested that since it was Spring Break and we weren't going anywhere, that we should eat out every night and let the boys take turns picking where we went... I was soooo excited!!!

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to cook and bake, but I really like cooking and baking what I want when I want, which doesn't happen very often!!

A while back ago, I pinned (on Pinterest) a recipe for Mall Pretzels... Mall pretzel recipe.  The original recipe is on Allrecipes.com.

Let me tell you, they are fabulous!!!!!!!!  The boys said they are the best things I have ever cooked!!  I just made them into rods, I'm not coordinated enough to make the fancy pretzel shapes.  I also just brushed them with melted butter, I did not add any salt, or cinnamon or garlic or anything, although I think I may keep this recipe around to use for breadsticks!!  It's super easy (especially if you have a mixer with a dough hook to do the kneading for you!)!

These pretzels were soft and chewy on the inside and firm on the outside... just perfect!

Here is the recipe if you are interested...

Ingredients

  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/8 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup bread flour
  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2 tablespoons baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons coarse kosher salt

Directions

  1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast, brown sugar and salt in 1 1/2 cups warm water. Stir in flour, and knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover, and let rise for one hour.
  2. Combine 2 cups warm water and baking soda in an 8 inch square pan. Line 6 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  3. After dough has risen, cut into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a 3 foot rope, pencil thin or thinner. Twist into a pretzel shape, and dip into the baking soda solution. Place onto parchment covered baking sheets, and let rise 15 to 20 minutes.
  4. Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter, and sprinkle with coarse salt, garlic salt or cinnamon sugar.

Source: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mall-pretzels/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...