Friday, November 11, 2011

What have I done today (11/11/11)... DIY project edition

Ok, so I technically finished this yesterday but didn't have a chance to blog about it... so here it goes...

I bought this bowl somewhere (can't remember where) about a year ago on clearance for $.99.  It is a black metal bowl and I like the roundness of the edges in my very straight line living room.  This bowl has been sitting empty for about a year now, so I decided it was time to do something about it!

So I went looking for something to put in my pretty little bowl and came up with nothing!  I found some hemp/jute balls that would have looked great but since the bowl is pretty big in size I would have had to buy 2 packages of them for a total of $42... what?!?!?!?

So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a 2 bags of assorted size styrofoam balls... $1.99 each (with a coupon), a skein of jute from Home Depot for $2.67, Mod Podge (that I owned previously from Hobby Lobby), and a foam applicator ($.10 at Michael's with a coupon).  I did end up using some brown spray paint that I had laying around, but more about that in a second.



So all you do is saturate a spot on the styrofoam ball with Mod Podge and start slowly winding the jute around the ball, very EASY but very Time Consuming and very very STICKY!!  Just keep adding ModPodge and jute until the ball is covered.

So I did that small one in the picture first, then did one of the big balls (hee hee... yes I have the sense of humor of a 5 grade boy!!)  Because of the size and the slightly uneven shape of the styrofoam, there ended up being some gaps in between some of the lines of jute which showed through white and looked a little weird.

I grabbed some old brown spray paint I had sitting in my dining room (isn't that where you store your old paint?) and put a light layer of brown paint on the remaining styrofoam balls and then proceeded to cover them with jute so on the other big balls (hee hee) where there are the small gaps the brown shows through.  So here is the finished project...
I LOVE the way it looks!!  Leave a comment and let me know what you think!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...