Friday, November 18, 2011

What I have done this week... (Cooking edition)... Hearty Lentil Soup

Here's the second recipe I was promising you guys.  This was super yummy (everyone loved it).  It says it serves 4, but we actually had some leftovers that I warmed up in the microwave the next day and it was still fabulous the next day.  This recipe is from Clean Eating magazine September/October 2010.

Hearty Lentil Soup
serves 4

- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped (I used a yellow onion)
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, ground
- 1/4 cup whole-grain or brown rice (uncooked)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice (I actually didn't use this and it still tasted fabulous!!)

1.) Rinse lentils and pick through, discarding any debris or small stones, drain.

2.) Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Add onion and bell pepper and saute 5 minutes or until brown.  Stir in cumin and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 more minute.  Add 4 cups water, lentils, and rice.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.  Add salt, stir and cook for an additional 30 minutes.  Before serving, stir in lemon juice (if you want to).


* I served this with Tastefully Simple's beer bread and it was wonderful.

** The second day when I reheated the leftovers, I shredded some fresh cheddar cheese over the top and that tasted excellent too!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think...